22 October 2005 – 19 March 2006 | Brescia, Pinacoteca Tosio Martinengo
curated by Elena Lucchesi Ragni and Renata Stradiotti,with the collaboration ofJosé Godoy
The Castle, a large defensive structure attached to the walls, above the hill Cidneo the city of Brescia. Built on the remains of a large Roman temple by the Visconti of Milan in the first half of the fourteenth century, it was enlarged and rebuilt in large part by the Venetians in the mid-sixteenth century. In the keep, built on top and clearly visible with its soaring medieval walls, there there are the public collections of ancient weapons. The works come almost entirely from the munificent gift bestowed on the city in 1965 by Luigi Marzoli (1883-1965) and a small part of the collections already stored in museums Brescia. There are various types of weapons (armor, weapons and firearms), dating from the fifteenth to the eighteenth century, which are significant testimony to the taste and interests of the generous donor, whose purpose was to collect and preserve the testimonies of 'ancient art of dealers, mostly from Milan and Brescia. All of these weapons on display since 1988 in the museum dedicated to Luigi Marzoli and ordered in several distinct areas, ages and type, is among the richest and most important in Europe, with pieces of great interest for their uniqueness and particularity .